look at the msgctl, msggegt, msgrcv, msgsnd and msgxrcv in the c/c++ run
time documentation.  sa22-7821.

These queue functions can be wrapped in C programs.  COBOL can call C.
 I've not used them, but they look very useful.

Since they are part of the C-runtime, they are include with the system even
if the c/c++ compiler is not licensed.

Or you can google FIFO queue in "C" using google and get different
implementations.  the main issue with getting code from google is the z/OS
difference in locking mechanisms.

Or you can roll your own in ASM.