On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 13:38:46 -0500, Scott Ford wrote:

>I always thought VMS was *nix like??? If not what opsys is it similar too or
>is it's own thang

What's "*nix like"?  On a cursory brush, I believe VMS has a hierarchic
filesystem.  That's *nix like.  It doesn't have an ALLOCATE command.
That's *nix like.  Its files can have attributes.  That's MVS-like.

I knew two programmers: one transplanted from a UNIX environment
to VMS who spent much effort customing his VMS profile to make VMS
behave like UNIX; the other transplanted from a UNIX environment
who tried to make VMS behave like UNIX.  Myself?  I spent (wasted)
enormous effort trying to make the uglier parts of XEDIT behave like
their nicer ISPF analogues.

VMS delimits its version numbers with ';'.  Imagine how that must
infuriate anyone accustomed to using ';' as a command separator.

And an alien once asked me, "VM is a version of MVS, isn't it?"

-- gil