Caveat:  I get the daily digest so am always behind the curve in message
traffic.

Charles (& others):  this is not an SMF problem but a basic Dataset issue.  I
have encountered it here and the conflict is DISP=MOD vs RLSE [1] with multiple
runs.  This can easily give rise to 16 extents after 16 runs since [almost]
each new run causes a new extent.  It's even more aggravated when SPACE=TRK
instead of CYL since there's less empty space at the end for appended data.  A
[bad] way to alleviate the problem is Vol=(,,,255) or through DynVolCount in
SMS DataClas.  This only means you get 16 * 255 (or the SMS value) kicks at the
can before failure. [3]  So, (MOD and RLSE) -> probable failure. [4]

[1]  watch out for PartialRelease in MgmtClas.  You can get RLSE actions
without specifying it in JCL. [2]

[2]  as part of my incremental, SMS implementation, I started using COND_IMMED
and immediately had problems with a production job that used Disp=Mod. [4]

[3]  for DsOrg=PS, max extents / volume = 16.  Other DsOrg's have higher limits
ie. 123 for PSE.

[4]  my occurrence of [2] took a while to rear its ugly head because the volume
was being compakt'd which amalgamated all the dataset extents.  After 4-5
weeks, the job was run ~16 times before the next compakt occurred.

-------->  signature = 6 lines follows  <--------
Neil Duffee, Joe Sysprog, uOttawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                  fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uOttawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?"  Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent"  John Norgauer 2004