On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 5:41 PM, zMan <zedgarhoo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m missing something here (as usual). Assembler program, running in Batch,
> wants to write a message to the job log.  I’m doing WTO with ROUTCDE=11,
> which puts the message in the JESMSGLG. Is that my only real option? Seems
> like it should be easy to write to SYSPRINT, but I can’t find a way to do
> that!
> --
> zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

Use COBOL and do a DISPLAY ... UPON SYSOUT? <GRIN>

If you want to do I/O to a "sysprint" DD, then OPEN/PUT/CLOSE with a DCB is
your only real option.

Well, I lied. If you write LE enabled HLASM, then you _might_ be able to
use the CEEMOUT LE subroutine to write a message to the LE message file
(normally SYSPRINT DD). I think this is what COBOL does for the DISPLAY
UPON SYSOUT sentence. I say _might_ because I have never tried it myself.
Ref:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/CEEA31B0/2.2.5.53

CALL CEEMOUT,(MSG_STRUC,F2),VL

MSG_STRUCT DC Y(L'MSG)
MSG                DC  C'This message should show up on SYSPRINT.'
F2                   DC  F'2'

--
This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown