On 12/20/2013 7:50 AM, Lizette Koehler wrote:
And the other question is

If I have a STEPLIB and a JOBLIB and the module I need is only in the
JOBLIB, would not the step with the STEPLIB looking for that module fail?

//JOBLIB DD DSN=MYLOAD.LIB,DISP=SHR          Module XYZ resides here
//S1   EXEC  PGM=XYZ
//STEPLIB DD DISP=SHR,DSN=APPL.LIB              Module XYZ does not exist in
this library

Would not S1 then abend with a S806 due to the JOBLIB being ignored?

My understanding has been that if you code a JOBLIB any module not found in
the STEPLIB would then search the JOBLIB and hopefully not fail.  This would
also allow for testing a new version without having to alter JCL by swapping
load libraries on JOBLIB and STEPLIB.  I could have the production version
of the module in JOBLIB and a testing version in the STEPLIB.  If it is bad,
I delete the version in STEPLIB and the job will find it in the JOBLIB.

That as soon as the module was found, then no more searching no matter where
it was found.

So if it is in the STEPLIB, then searching stops
If it is found in the JOBLIB then searching stops
If it is found in the JPA, then searching stops.

So perhaps the intent is not that the JOBLIB is ignored. But that searching
stops if the module is found in the STEPLIB

Lizette

Well, carry on with your experiment. But my understanding
is if a step contains a STEPLIB then JOBLIB is ignored,
and it's been that way for decades.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* We are going out of business effective 30 December, 2013

* To purchase a set of our training materials at terrific prices,
  check out our Going Out Of Business Sale:

    http://www.trainersfriend.com/SpecialSale