Yeah, true. I guess having grown up worried more about memory than CPU, I'd
never have chosen that route, but it's clearly equally valid. Or maybe N
R14,=X'00F00000' and then CLM R14,B'0100',=X'80'... whee, I saved 3 bytes!
(Also not sure whether two RS instructions are faster than two shifts and a
CFI. Of course, now we're *really* discussing minutiae...) (Plus, hey, any
time you get to use a sexy new instruction like CFI, a kitten gets its
wings. Or something.)

Anyway, thanks. I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some other, more
obvious approach that Everyone Knows (but me)!

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can avoid shifts and save one instruction by ANDing the PSW value
> with  x'00F00000' and testing the result for equality with
> x'00800000', but there is not much fat to be squeezed out of what you
> are doing now.
>
> John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"