On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 12:37:36 -0800, Frank Swarbrick wrote:

Is there any reason why I would not prefer "binary/record" over
"ebcdic/blocked"?� The former seems to make much more sense, since that
is in fact what I am doing.� Specifying EBCDIC implies a text file,
which this is not (even though it does appear to work).

I don't see much difference.  Neither handles empty records properly.

Where do you read that "Specifying EBCDIC implies a text file?"

-- gil