paulgboul...@aim.com (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> Are you suggesting that I, as a Class G user, can build and deploy a DVM,
> no sysprog intervention?

re:
http://www.garilc.com/~lynn/2014.html#1 Application development paradigms [was:
RE: Learning Rexx]

that is exactly how the rexx author started out with his multi-user
client/server spacewar game.

however you typically had to talk to sysadmin if you wanted it
automatically brought up at system started up ... rather than manually.

I had originally done the autolog command was part of automated
benchmarking ... build new system, setup autolog script, reboot to the
new kernel, autolog all simulated users, when done, again reboot the
system run the next set of simulated user benchmark ... all
automatically ... could get through several hundred if I had enough
dedicated machine time. misc. past posts discussing automated
benchmarking
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#benchmark

cp67 had done automatic reboot as part expanded service into 7x24
... and running dark room in the 60s. however, as service virtual
machines proliferated ... a lot of services required somebody manually
to bring up the increasing numbers of different service virtual
machines.

my autolog function was quickly adapted to automatically bringing up all
the service virtual machines at boot ... it was another thing that I
included in my csc/vm system distribution for internal datacenters.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

during the future system period ... lots of 370 stuff was being
suspended and/or shutdown
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

during the FS period I continued to work on 360/370 ... even
periodically critidizing the FS activity (which was exactly a career
enhancing activity). When FS failed, there was mad rush to get stuff
back into 370 product pipelines. That contributed to picking up some of
the stuff I had been doing all along and shipping in standard product.
The autolog command was one of the things picked up for VM370 release
3 shipping to customers, as part of helping manage service virtual
machines.