The VTOC index is cached on all available systems. The 213-18 abend indicates
that the cached index does not match the DASD.

The complete solution to this issue is:
1) vary the volume offline to all systems except the system used for step2
2) Run ICKDSF with 2 control cards. BUILDIX OSVTOC and BUILDIX IXVTOC (check
the fine manual for syntax). This can be done as 2 commands in a single
execution or multiple steps.
This is mainly a "safety first" operation.
3) Vary the volume online to all systems.

Normally, the root cause of this is omitting step1 when performing IXVTOC
maintenance. Whatever system performed the initial maintenance should be "OK"

HTH,

<snip>
> > IEC143I 213-18,IFG0196X
> >
> > Manual : 18        An I/O error occurred in writing back a format-1
DSCB.

> > Will it be safe to run a build index Job. Post the Buildix the
> > Datasets would be accessible on that particular volume ?
</snip>