Charles

I do not think you read my post at all carefully.

I made it clear that for specific language pairs UTF-8 is adequate if
often clumsy.

For multiple-language environments it is equally clear that it is inadequate.

It is of course true that any grapheme, even say some company's logo
or an astrological house, can be represented in UTF-8.  The problem is
not one of representability but of subset choice.  The decision to
include one may preclude the inclusion of another.  Some subsets of at
most 256 characters are adequate to some particular tasks and others
are adequate to other particular tasks.  None is adequate to all such
tasks.

Moreover, in my now considerable controversial experience I have noted
that people who assert that 1) the real meaning of some word is what
they want it to be or 2) that a battle is pretty much over and their
side has won are are arguing hopefully, trying to convince others, not
recording the judgment of history.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA