I finally caved and stopped using the CPU hungry wait techniques.

The ADDRESS SYSCALL SLEEP works fine for whole seconds. We had a
requirement to wait quite a bit less, so I developed a called assembler
program that does a STIMER WAIT,DINTVL=DECTIME where DECTIME is CL8
'00000500' for a 5 second wait.

In REXX code:

P1 = '00000050' /* DECTIME of 0.5 seconds for ASM */
ADDRESS LINKPGM 'TDELAY P1'

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>wrote:

> > You need a CALL SYSCALLS("ON")
> > first don't you?
> >
> > Hope I spelled it correctly.
> >
> It's mostly automatic, but it does serve to define
> about four hundred Rexx variables, which are unnecessary
> for something as simple as this.  (By very recent
> experiment.  Try "syscalls(on); say syscall_constants")
>
> Some people insist on ending with SYSCALLS( "OFF" ),
> but Bill Schoen, who ought to know, deprecates that
> saying it may do more harm than good.
>
> -- gil

Wayne V. Bickerdike