On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>wrote:

<snip>

> IBM is the only vendor I know of that enforces such an archaic restriction,
> at least with CMS and TSO.  But it's getting better with Unix System
> Services.
> (I suspect not with VM/CMS Open Extensions.)  It's time IBM woke up.

This is why I like to keep my JCL and source in z/OS UNIX files rather than
PDSEs. I have a Linux/Intel desktop in addition to the standard MS Windows.
I use a multi-tabbed Konsole set up wherein I do multiple ssh sessions into
a z/OS UNIX shell (not that I like /bin/sh compared to BASH). Of course,
this means that I cannot use ISPF edit as much as I would like. I really
need to NFS share my z/OS UNIX files to my Linux desktop. I'm just too damn
lazy to justify it to management. Yes, they will starts asking what the
<elided> is GFSCPROC or NFSCLIENT and why is it running? My boss already
dislikes my use of UNIX because "nobody else understands it".

--
Wasn't there something about a PASCAL programmer knowing the value of
everything and the Wirth of nothing?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown