On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 07:17:54 -0600, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The "problem" with data access here is that _all_ our data is stored in
>VSAM KSDS data sets. As opposed to, say, Windows where it is on MS-SQL
>Server and Oracle databases. So every time the users want a data extract,
>they must request that a program be written and then run. The resulting
>extract file must then be downloaded so that the data can be put in the
>proper place. Either in an SQL database, or maybe the user can use it
>directly. This makes "ad hoc" requests very difficult compared to just
>developing an SQL SELECT which can not only retrieve data, but also do some
>aggregation. Or can be integrated into an .NET program which the person, or
>a developer, can write faster than we can get a new COBOL program written
>and run. This thanks to the fact that z/OS has _good_ change control which
>is _enforced_. I don't know how they do Windows development. But, in any
>case, writing COBOL using ISPF in a compile/run/debug loop is much "slower"
>than using a Windows  IDE. No, we won't get RD/z. Too expensive.
>
>John McKown

John, I'm sure part of the reason your company wouldn't convert to DB2 is the
amount of changes that
would be required to the COBOL programs, (as well as spending money on an
"obsolete" platform :-) ).
There is a relatively new product from IBM called "CICS VSAM Transparency".
From the announcement letter:

"CICS VSAM Transparency (CICS VT) for z/OS, V2.1 enables the migration of data
from VSAM files to DB2 tables. It ensures continued access to the data in DB2,
without modification to the CICS or batch VSAM application programs and with
only minor changes to CICS and batch configurations, and job control (using
JCL)."

It claims that you can convert VSAM to DB2 without having to make any program
changes, (just CICS Region changes and Batch JCL changes).  This would
obviously make the data available for SQL queries and allow COBOL programs to
be changed
in a controlled manner from using VSAM to directly calling DB2.  After all
programs/regions/JCL were converted to DB2, CICS VSAM Transparency could be
removed, (SYSB II would no longer be required also).

Just thought I would mention it in case someone else is looking for a
"solution" to VSAMs lack of sharing and access from non-mainframe systems.  If
anyone needs more information, GIYF.

--
Dale R. Smith