From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 10:09 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Branch (was: Performance question - adding)

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>wrote:

> On 2014-02-17, at 10:36, Ted MacNEIL wrote:
>
> > I have to ask: Why they big concern over a few instructions?
> >                                Optimisation of a few is not worth
> > the
> effort these days.
> >
> Hmmm...  No single instruction is worth optimizing.
>
> No single instruction among a million is worth optimizing.
>
> It's not worth optimising a million instructions because that would
> imply optimizing each, which is not worth it.
>
> E.E. asked whether the code is in a loop.
>
> -- gil

I guess that I ASSuMEd that the code was in a heavily used loop. If you remove
1 instruction from a loop which is executed a million times, assuming the
instruction is "expensive", then it may well be worth the effort. Or maybe even
replacing it with two "simpler" instructions (such as my thought on using IPM
and SPM with an STOC instead of a JZ and ST).