From: Gerhard Postpischil
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 23:57
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: Packed decimal (again!)

On 2/18/2014 2:08 PM, Phil Smith wrote:
> The same applies in spades to credit card numbers, which you're even
> less likely to be doing math on, though I suppose there's a bit more
> prefix analysis or IINs and the like, so maybe x'04000123456789123'
> for CCN 4000123456789123 might be a bit easier to process. Does COBOL
> make packed easier to work with? Yes, COBOL isn't my strongest
> language - "You say that like it's a negative thing", as Woody Allen
> would put it :)

You're wrong about math use with credit card numbers. The leading
three/four digit identify the bank, and the last digit is a checksum
calculated from the remaining 8/9 digits. Keeping the number in unsigned
packed form can speed verification, especially considering that some
common devices don't have the arithmetic capability of handling 10-digit
numbers in binary form. Not to mention the delights of converting
big-endian to little-endian and v.v.

I worked as a contractor at a government agency where they kept files
with hundreds of millions of records, and unsigned hex was a compromise
between file size and CPU time for data conversion. They had an even
more bastardized form where the last byte was processed with a translate
table to see if the number was negative.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont