On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 17:54:43 +0000, Rouse, Willie wrote:

>When building an AWS tape, say from a dump volume dataset, how do you know
>what the block count is for the EOF header 2?

I'm not sure why this should be a question.  Maintain a counter.  As you process
each input block, add one to the counter.  That becomes the block count in the
EOF "header".

What's your objective?  Would AMATERSE, TSO TRANSMIT, or a z/OS UNIX file
with FILEDATA=RECORD be an alternative?

A while ago, with a similar requirement, not for AWS, but for an idiosyncratic
partner format, I resorted to writing a virtual tape volume, then processing
each
file witn LABEL-(n,BLP),RECFM=U.  Let the OS worry about label formats.
My only tweak was to adjust the volser in the label images.

-- gil