Well ... I did things in an 'unconventional' way - e.g. if any command began with "%" it meant "invoke as Clist or REXX and with parms if any".

In my panel I had:
<etc.>
)PROC
 <etc.>
 &CLIST = TRUNC(&ZCMD,1)   /* <--- here */
 &ZCMD = TRUNC(&ZCMD,' ')
 &ZTRAIL = .TRAIL
 IF (&CLIST='%')           /* <--- here */
   &CLIST = &ZCMD
   &ZCMD = 'CLIST'         /* <--- here */
 &ZCMDTEMP = TRANS( &ZCMD
             <etc.>
                *,*)       /* <--- here */
 &ZSEL = TRANS( &ZCMDTEMP
              <etc.>
CLIST,'CMD(&CLIST &ZTRAIL) NEWAPPL(&ZAPPLID) PASSLIB' /* <--- here */
              <etc.>
               *,'' )
)END

In my Clist I then had:
     <etc.>
ISPEXEC SELECT &ZSEL <etc.>

My Clist and REXX executed under ISPF and needed an ADDRESS TSO (or TSOEXEC) for LISTA, SUBMIT, VERIFY, DELETE etc. (I started them from the TSO READY prompt to bypass the ISPF primary menu panel.)

Apples & oranges indeed.