...small addendum to my reply
re: step #2
 Without checking the full flow of command processing I cant be absolutely
certain any more of what rmm does.....
However, as I said, it should allow you to change the location information to
reflect the actual situation via commands.
You might have to add NOEJECT operand because rmm believes the volume is
library resident - depends how you 'manually' ejected it. If RMM shows volume
is 'in transit' you dont need NOEJECT.
I know that when the TCDB is not connected or library is off-line you can even
add FORCE operand that enables some subset of failing commands to work in any
case.

Hope that helps,
Mike