Ok, sounds interesting.

If this is indeed a license check, you may run into legal issues,
if you change the program not doing this any more.

But: if the old software provider is not on the market any more
and you still need to run this 24 bit version AND it is only - for example -
done to print the CPU ID on the top of the reports, then you could IMO
change the code to simply not do this and print a fake CPU ID instead.

Another question: why not use the 31 bit version of the report generator,
and link the private exit routines, that are called, AMODE ANY, RMODE 24,
and do a AMODE switch to 24 on entry to that routines? That would help,
too, IMO, and you need not stay with that old 24 bit version of the
report writer (but maybe even the 31 bit version looks for the PCCA
at that fixed PSA address).

But, as I understand it, the OP has a workaround, forcing the PCCA
address below the line.

Kind regards

Bernd