From: Vernooij, CP (SPLXM) - KLM [mailto:kees.verno...@klm.com]
Sent: April 9, 2014 09:40
Subject: Re: How often does SMS update its free space information?

Good hint for Interval and Dinterval. I found the following:
[snip]
DINTERVAL(nnn) : Directs SMS to allow nnn seconds (1 to 999) to elapse between
reading device statistics from a 3990-3 control unit. The default is 150
seconds.
[snip]
150 seconds is the interval to update the volume statistics.
It seems, that if DBM1 deletes a dataset from a volume, SMS will not be
informed of the new free space info of that volume.
In this scenario, with large tablespaces, we could need extra space on other
volumes for the entire tablespace, just because SMS is not aware of the fact
that DBM1 just made space available for the new allocation.
[snip]