From: Bernd Oppolzer
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2014 23:45
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Reply To: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
Subject: Re: Enterprise COBOL v5.1 and RDz v9.x

You're right about the term "thunk", and that it was first used in
the call-by-name context, but

FORTRAN was always call-by-reference,
call-by-name was one of the ALGOL call mechanisms
(the other one was call-by-value)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunk_%28compatibility_mapping%29

Kind regards

Bernd