On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 09:49:09 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>What's a "memory object"?  I believe GEMAIN allows obtaining a large block
>of memory; subdividing it; and FREEMAINing it piecemeal.

GETMAIN/ FRREEMAIN are not used for storage above the bar.
From the Assembler Services Reference:

<quote>
6.0 IARV64 -- 64-bit virtual storage allocation

The IARV64 macro allows a program to use the full range of virtual
storage in an address space that is supported by 64-bit addresses.
The macro creates and frees storage areas above the two gigabyte
address and manages the physical frames behind the storage. Each
storage area is a multiple of one megabyte in size and begins on a
megabyte boundary. You can think of the IARV64 macro as the
GETMAIN/FREEMAIN, PGSER or STORAGE macro for virtual storage
above the the two gigabyte address.

The two gigabyte address in the address space is marked by a virtual
line called the bar. The bar separates storage below the two gigabyte
address, called below the bar, from storage above the two gigabyte
address, called above the bar. The area above the bar is intended to
be used for data only, not for executing programs. Programs use the
IARV64 macro to obtain storage above the bar in "chunks" of virtual
storage called memory objects. Your installation can set a limit on
the use of the address space above the bar for a single address
space. The limit is called the MEMLIMIT.
</quote>

--
Tom Marchant