From: Dno <snipers5...@gmail.com>
To: IBM-MAIN <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Sent: Thu, May 8, 2014 2:26 pm
Subject: Re: Vendor Source Code

Thanks Mark, makes sense.
Dean
Sent from my iPhone
On May 8, 2014, at 4:58 PM, Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:
> We're looking to purchase a sw product and our lawyers are looking at the t's
>> and c's to see if we can have the right to their source code. At my previous
> job we did this for BMC, we kept it at IMAR. I guess I never understand why,
> so I'm asking if anyone our there does this and for what reason. If the
> company went out of business what would the source code do for us? Would we
> give it to another third party to maintain for us? I appreciate the feedback.

 Most companies do this for products that are supporting business critical
unctions.  If that's not going to be the case here, then there's no real need
or escrowing the source.

 If it is the case, then you would have ability to keep your business critical
unction running.  As we're all aware "stuff happens" at the worst time, say
uring a CPU upgrade.  You could either maintain the code yourself or paying
omeone else to do it.  If nothing else, it could buy you time to migrate off
he product gracefully.

 One of the benefits of working for an Open Source company is that we don't
ave to worry about contract terms like that and neither do our customers.  :)

 Mark Post

or IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
end email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN