On 10 May 2014 15:58, Ed Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I don't think the source code for Program Products like ADRDSSU was
> available even in the pre-OCO days.

Some IBM Program Products had source code available from the earliest
days. For example, the PL/I Optimizing compiler had source code that
was simply orderable as an option. The same was true of ACF/VTAM and
many other quite mainstream products. Program Product versions of
JES2, and of course VM, continued for a long time not only to have
source available, but to be source maintained.

But when the OCO is a Good Thing meme got entrenched in the early
1980s, new IBM code - priced or not - mostly did not have continued
source availability.

Tony H.