At 6/11/2014 08:10 AM, John McKown wrote:
Peter,

Hijacking this thread away from the XDC stuff. Is there any way to tell z/OS program fetch that I _want_ RENT and/or REFR marked modules to be loaded into key 0 storage which is also write protected in the page tables _without_ it being APF authorized? Why not?

John, Maybe I'm doing something wrong (and I'm sure Peter will correct me if I am wrong), but my tests are showing that when REFRPROT is in effect, then when modules are marked with both REFR *AND* RENT, they are loaded into key-0 storage regardless of the library they are loaded from.

If just REFR is marked, then pages that are wholly contained within the module may be page protected, but partial pages at the beginning or end of the module are not protected. (But in my testing, I could not make that happen, I tried loading a REFR-only module that was page aligned and 3 pages long, and event though CDEPROTP=1 was set in its CDE, z/OS insisted on loading the module completely in key-8 storage. I don't know what I am doing wrong.)

Anyway, it does seem that if a module is marked both as RENT and REFR (and REFRPROT is in effect), that module will always be loaded into key=0 storage regardless of the library from which it is loaded.

IHTH,
Dave Cole

Dave Cole
ColeSoft Marketing