On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Vernooij, CP (SPLXM) - KLM <
kees.verno...@klm.com> wrote:

> I believe I remember from posts that people are processing SMF records
> with DFSORT to produce reports.
> Anyway, the RMF records contain way more info that you get from the
> CMFCPU* messages. It might be worth to try to get some SMF processing
> running in your Linux hobby shed. I know it is done with a tool called WPS,
> but I don't know it.

My boss has heard of WPS, but could never find out much. I don't know if he
couldn't find the company, or if they didn't respond to his inquiries. In
any case, I can do anything that I want. So long as the cost, to the
company, is no more that U.S. $0.00 . Which leaves WPS off the table.

> At times of overload, the lowest IMPs will suffer. Instead of stopping
> jobs, you could try to assign a lower IMP to a group of them. This causes
> them to be nearly stopped at times of overload, but to continue running
> when there is CPU available.
> I see the relation of stopping jobs with the 4HA management. However, in
> my experience it is difficult to manage it such in one hour, that you have
> enough saved for the next hour. But this is in our configuration, yours
> will be different.

I've always thought that this idea of "MSUs in the bank" was not of all
that much use, in the big picture. But it is something that my manager is
sensitive to. Another person, off line, showed me an MSU graph that my
manager would swoon over. He uses some RMF software to help produce it.
Unfortunately we use an old (purchased) version of BMC's MainView to do our
RMF-like work, so I don't have the software that he uses.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown