From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Storr, Lon A CTR USARMY HRC (US)
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 12:37 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: z/OS technical overviews for new(ish) system programmers (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Hello List,

We have a couple of team members wanting to learn more about MVS internals.
They already understand quite a bit of usage (e.g. SMP/E, PARMLIB, TSO and JCL)
but are interested in soldifying their understanding of operating system
fundamentals. I'm attempting to assemble an "information roadmap" and find very
little that introduces the operating system with a fairly narrow scope at a
reasonably introductory level.

There are books that describe bits and pieces of it, ad-nauseum, but I find
little that paints all of these pieces together into a bigger picture. Some
sources that I have found include "Introduction to the new Mainframe: z/OS
Basics" and some volumes in the "ABCs of System Programming" series. They do a
fair job of providing a technical overview of the various storage managements
and IOS.

I'd especially like to see something that describes components in terms of new
hardware capabilities and how MVS has evolved:

1) The original dispatcher (especially RBs and interrupt management), task
management (especially the difference between DUs), program management
(especially the PSW and what APF means), storage management and I/O management

2) Serialization techniques over the years (WAIT/POST, ENQ/DEQ, Locks, Latches)

3) Additions to the dispatcher (SRM and WLM)

4) Storage evolution (24bit-to-31bit in XA, ARs and data spaces in ESA,
31bit-to-64bit in z/OS)

5) Centralized (shared) programming support (e.g. SVCs, subsystems, PCs)

6) Availability improvements (e.g. GRS, sysplex [XCF] and parallel sysplex
[XES])

I'd appreciate pointers to any materials you deem relevant.

Thanks,
Alan

attachments from your system.