Paul,

I don't know how to solve your IEB319I issue, but out of curiosity I tried
submitting your symbol substitution test from a PDS on our z/OS 2.1 system, and
nothing ever gets substituted.  Whatever your ftp submission issues, I don't
see the new symbol substitution working at all here.

Is there some system PARMLIB option needed to enable this feature that my
sysprogs may not have set?

I used the syntax SYMBOLS=(type-of-conversion,log-DDNAME) to see what was
happening with the actual substitution process, and nothing ever happened.  I
made up more entries in SYSUT1 than you had to see any differences, but there
were none, whether I used $X (I think that is not correct) or &X (which the
V2.1 JCL reference uses in its example of SYMBOLS usage).

Here is my JCL (minus the JOB and OUTPUT cards, add your own at the top):

//* DOC: EXPERIMENT WITH INSTREAM SYMBOL SUBSTITUTION.
//*
//  SET X='THIS IS A LONG SYMBOL VALUE.'
//*
//*.+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|
//SYMTEST  EXEC  PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN     DD  DUMMY
//SYSUT2    DD  SYSOUT=*
//LOGSYMS   DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT1    DD  *,SYMBOLS=(JCLONLY,LOGSYMS)
LOTS OF DATA TO FILL UP A LINE, FOLLOWED BY A LONG SYMBOL TO SEE $X.
$X ALONE
LOTS OF DATA TO FILL UP A LINE, FOLLOWED BY A LONG SYMBOL TO SEE &X.
&X ALONE
//*
//*.+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|....+....|
//*

The LOGSYMS output was exactly the same for JCLONLY, EXECSYS and CNVTSYS as
follows:

SYSUT1   : RECORD 1 BEFORE SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : LOTS OF DATA TO FILL UP A LINE, FOLLOWED BY A LONG SYMBOL TO SEE $X.
SYSUT1   : RECORD 1 AFTER SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : LOTS OF DATA TO FILL UP A LINE, FOLLOWED BY A LONG SYMBOL TO SEE $X.
SYSUT1   : RECORD 2 BEFORE SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : $X ALONE
SYSUT1   : RECORD 2 AFTER SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : $X ALONE
SYSUT1   : RECORD 3 BEFORE SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : LOTS OF DATA TO FILL UP A LINE, FOLLOWED BY A LONG SYMBOL TO SEE &X.
SYSUT1   : RECORD 3 AFTER SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : LOTS OF DATA TO FILL UP A LINE, FOLLOWED BY A LONG SYMBOL TO SEE &X.
SYSUT1   : RECORD 4 BEFORE SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : &X ALONE
SYSUT1   : RECORD 4 AFTER SUBSTITUTION
SYSUT1   : &X ALONE