As a routine part of testing I have been testing a program with

//CEEOPTS DD  *
      RPTSTG(ON)
      HEAPCHK(ON,10,0,10,10,1024,0)
/*

I do this for two purposes:

1. To check for storage leaks and corruption.
2. To see what the stack and heap requirements are. I then set the initial
heap sizes as recommended by RPTSTG.

Based on the following HEAPCHK report (partial) I have been setting the
initial ANYHEAP size to 7MB (with #pragma):

ANYHEAP statistics:
  Initial size:                                      7340032
  Increment size:                                     524288
  Total heap storage used (sugg. initial size):      6400088
HEAP statistics:
  Initial size:                                       524288
  Increment size:                                      32768
  Total heap storage used (sugg. initial size):       513072

Today, as an unrelated experiment, I ran with just RPTSTG(ON) and no
HEAPCHK. I was amazed to get the following ANYHEAP report:

ANYHEAP statistics:
  Initial size:                                      7340032
  Increment size:                                     524288
  Total heap storage used (sugg. initial size):        88480
HEAP statistics:
  Initial size:                                       524288
  Increment size:                                      32768
  Total heap storage used (sugg. initial size):       513072

Have I been vastly over-allocating heap based on RPTSTG's needs? Is the true
ANYHEAP need of the program only 88K, not almost 7MB? I don't know how else
to interpret this information. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Charles