I've been wading thru the documentation (DFSMS Using Data Sets), etc...
trying to figure out why the DCBBLKSI field of my DCB is not
being filled in for a RECFM=U data set for INPUT.  (Non-LBI)

In particular, I want to allocate a buffer of sufficient size to hold any block
we might read for a pre-existing RECFM=U data set.

I put zeros into the DCB before the OPEN; then I do the OPEN... expecting
the DCB to have the DCBBLKSI field set to the block size...

But - it remains zero.

The JCL (well, an SVC 99 actually) doesn't specify a BLKSIZE for the file.

But - the file is catalogued, I would have expected the DCBBLKSI field
to get the BLOCK SIZE from the catalog?

Does anyone know why the DCBBLKSI field would not be filled in ?

The example code for determining the # of bytes read (from IBM's doc)
determines the blksize after the READ (+CHECK) macros are issued.
Is it possible that the blksize for a RECFM=U cannot be determined at
OPEN time, but only after a READ?

   - Thanks -
  - Dave Rivers -

--