On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 13:23:29 -0400, John Eells wrote:

>Paul Gilmartin wrote:
>> ISTR hearing that for RECFM=U, SDB selects 32760.
>
>You might have heard that, but it does not match my recollection; and,
>on our internal z/OS V2.1 system, tests with both ISPF OPT3.2 and JCL
>show a resulting block size of zero if one is not specified for RECFM=U.

And it disagrees with the book. In Using Data Sets, topic 3.2.3.1.2
System-Determined Block Size, there is this:

<quote>
The system does not determine the block size for the following types of data
sets:
- Unmovable data sets
- Data sets with a record format of U
- Existing data sets with DISP=OLD (data sets being opened with the INPUT,
OUTPUT, or UPDAT options on the OPEN macro)
- Direct data sets
- When extending data sets
</quote>

AFAIK, the DATACLAS ACS routine could set it, though.

--
Tom Marchant