On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 11:43 AM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using GDGs or PDSEs, the members of which can have long, sometimes
> very long, aliases would probably yield better results than these
> fiddles with JCL.
>
> Extracting bits and pieces of a sequential file is always possible,
> but it is usually neither neat nor efficient.

Too true! But, if the OP can get it done, it is _simple_ to do with a
UNIX file. Just do an ftell() when you're process runs out of data in
the file. Write than value into another file. The read that
"checkpoint" file later; do an fseek() to the offset; then process
from there. I think this is what the UNIX command "tail -f" does. Of
course, in many cases, trying to convince z/OS people to use UNIX
facilities rather than "legacy" facilities is like trying to get me
want to use Windows <grin/>. Just not worth the time and effort.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown