On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 22:01:02 -0400, Jim Mulder wrote:

>> There is some sharing across address spaces via z/OS Unix of program
>> objects that live in the file system, using what I think of as shared
>> private.
>>
>> Peter Relson
>> z/OS Core Technology Design

Is this only as a consequence of fork(), or will exec() and its brethren
(including spawn()) attempt to share code discovered in an execution
image of an unrelated job?

Does "in the file system" include or exclude program objects loaded via
external links from Classic PDSEs?

>  For that type of sharing, a shared program appears
>at the same virtual address in all of the sharing address spaces.

Understood.  When I first explored the S/370 instruction set, it
appeared to me that the S/360 designers had anticipated support
for location-independent code (as envisioned by Lynn Wheeler),
but software never realized that support.

-- gil