Ron,

I am not sure how you can compare the results of

SORT FIELDS=(1,4,CH,A,26,9,CH,A),EQUALS

with

SORT FIELDS=(26,9,CH,A,71,4,BI,A),EQUALS.

In the first case you are sorting on the ASIS first followed by the field
at position 26 and in the second case you are sorting on the contents at
position 26 first and then followed by the equivalent value of ASIS which
is now in binary format.

Assuming your character data in position 1 thru 4 is now presented in
position 71 thru 74 but now in binary format, you need to use the
following control cards

SORT FIELDS=(71,4,BI,A,26,9,CH,A),EQUALS

Which will give you the desired results

Thanks,
Sri Hari Kolusu
DFSORT Development