On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:27:36 -0500, Peter X. DeFabritus wrote:

>//         SET CURRDATE=&LYR4&LMON&LDAY
>//         SET CURRTIME=&LHR&LMIN&LSEC

In:

  Defining and nullifying JCL symbols
  z/OS MVS JCL Reference
  SA23-1385-00

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v2r1/topic/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.ieab600/jdefine.htm

I read:

o Do not specify JCL symbols within other JCL symbols. The results can be
unpredictable,
  especially if the imbedded JCL symbol is not previously defined.

Is your suggestion in violation of this, or does the restriction not apply to
use of
system symbols or PROC parameters "within" JCL symbols?  Does "within" apply
to the assigned value or to the name?  I have tried both constructs with no
reported syntax error.

I much prefer a reported syntax error to "results can be unpredictable", but an
IBM employee has averred here that many undocumented constructs are reserved
for use within IBM and can not be reported as syntax errors.  Here, and in some
other cases in JCL, particularly the IF statement, I'm skeptical and find
indolence
on the part of JCL developers a more plausible explanation.

-- gil