Len,

Assuming that you have the started task SMTP on your system, then you can
use the following JCL to send a file from mainframe as an attachment. You
can check if SMTP is up and running in SDSF. Go to SDSF and type PRE SMTP*
and you should be able to find a started task. If you see any thing with
that, then SMTP is running and your shop is configured to SMTP.

//SENDMAIL EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSIN    DD DUMMY
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT2   DD SYSOUT=(A,SMTP)
//SYSUT1   DD *
HELO SYSA
MAIL FROM:<l...@ny.com>
RCPT TO:<sa...@ny.com>
DATA
FROM:      <l...@ny.com>
TO:         sa...@ny.com
SUBJECT: file
MIME-VERSION: 1.0
CONTENT-TYPE: MULTIPART/MIXED;
BOUNDARY=  "MYDELIM"
THIS MESSAGE IS IN MIME FORMAT
--MYDELIM
CONTENT-TYPE: TEXT/HTML
 <PRE> <FONT FACE="ARIAL" SIZE=1>
//          DD DISP=SHR,DSN=YOUR.input FB 80 byte file to sent as
attachment
// DD *
--MYDELIM
.