On 9/15/2014 9:38 AM, Sri h Kolusu wrote:
I agree that Sort may not be as easy as a programming language. For
example, with REXX you can do LEFT(var,5,'0') or RIGHT(var,5,'0') and that
will place zeros up to the number of positions. In Unix, or Perl, or
COBOL, or EASYTRIEVE, or Assembler, not hard to do.

Lizette,

I have to disagree on that. In this case OP showed an complicated cards
which are quite unnecessary as the solution is just as simple as a rexx
LEFT/RIGHT command. ( see my solution which was posted earlier)

*only if the length of the number is 4 * ???? What about 3 or 2 or 1
digits ?.

Shane,

The solution I have shown will account for lengths 1 thru 6 and will pad
the necessary zeroes.

Without wishing to appear a "die hard defender of DFSORT" :-) I would
expect DFSORT's I/O speed to be better than that of a program (even with
decent Sequential File tuning). But that quite possibly DOESN'T matter.

Thanks Martin and I agree with your statement as I am indeed a die hard
defender of DFSORT. :)

The OP, like many others here, does not appear to want or even to have
considered writing a programmed resolution of his problem.  He wants
to use sort control statements instead.  He can certainly do so too, but
why?

John,

I agree with you but there are instances where a 40-50 line COBOL program
work is done with a single keyword in DFSORT. Just like in programming
there are many people who just complicate a simple task. In this case OP
just needed a simple Overlay but instead chose an IFTHEN statement making
it complicated. Over the past few years DFSORT has evolved and now can do
a lot more than simple sorting.

And you can learn most of the new features from the course
pointed at from this page:

  http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=isg3T7000082

we can teach this, or arrange to have it taught, or you can
buy a license for the course for internal teaching.

-Steve Comstock

Thanks

Kolusu