On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:39:27 -0400, John Eells  wrote:

>1. IEFBR14, in addition to being the smallest program in z/OS as far as
>I know (and only one instruction longer than the smallest possible
>program), remains the "most misused program in z/OS history" in my view.
>  Whether DD statements included in a IEFBR14 step are processed as you
>might wish or not does not affect the apparent success of step
>execution.

<PEDANTRY> Sometimes.  I'm certainly accustomed to seeing "JCL ERROR --
DATA SET NOT FOUND." in some cases; other times not.  </PEDANTRY>

> ... IDCAMS, TSO/E (IJEFTxx), and other programs provide far more
>flexibility and tell you much more about what happened if things don't
>go as you expect.  They also let you conditionally run steps based on
>success or lack thereof.  Very few things require the use of JCL for
>data set allocation, and even fewer require it for data set deletion.

Sometimes.  Other times a utility converts an error message to what
the author assumes is more familiar language, but others find it less
precise.  I lately ranted in MVS-OE about a vague filesystem error
reported by cp(1).  Looking at SYSLOG showed an ABEND SD37
trapped and obfuscated by cp.  Probably the C RTL.  Dammit!  They
could/should trap the message text and make that also available
to the programmer's console.

-- gil