On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 05:15:13PM -0700, Charles Mills wrote:
> Thanks. I'm reading
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellshock_(software_bug) and I sort of
> get it.
>
> I guess the worry is that the effects are so unknown.

There is a very nice description by Michal Zalewski, here:

http://lcamtuf.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/quick-notes-about-bash-bug-its-impact.html

Please note, that there is a way to list functions in one's bash
process, by using "declare -F".

=>  (627 1):   declare -F

declare -f fingerics
declare -f insertblade
declare -f prjstart
declare -f setcvs
declare -f subshell

"declare -F" dumped me their source code definitions on the terminal.

Bash manual specifies "Restricted bash mode", invoked with "bash -r"
or "rbash" command. Among other things, it disallows "importing
function definitions from the shell environment at startup", which, if
I understand everything sufficiently, should be enough to repel either
this one bug or some of its cousins, too.

Morale? Well, know your programs, for Bit's sake.

I wonder why MZ, who should know about it, didn't mention it. Or I
didn't spot it.

> IF there is a situation where a user can set an environment variable
> to some arbitrary value and IF that variable gets passed to a child
> process, the child process will end up executing the user's
> malicious command appended to the environment variable.

If a _remote_ user can do this, you have a problem. If a local user
(includes logged in from remote) does this, which should be legitimate
but you have a problem with it, then again you have a problem.

There is nothing inherently bad in just setting env var by remote
user, because I understand this is how everything in the web server
works, and some other places too. The problem is, if he knows you will
call bash with some script and this script executes command X, he may
trick your server to redefine this X into something of his choice.

> What are all the situations where that might happen? I guess no one
> knows, and that is the problem.

How many natural numbers are there? I think the answer is good
approximate for your question.

> >Sally has a basic everyday Mac running unpatched OS X. It is
> >connected to the Internet for Web browsing and e-mail, but she does
> >not operate a Web server. Let's for argument's sake assume no
> >firewall. Is Sally vulnerable to this?
> >
> >I am guessing that if she is vulnerable it is because someone can
> >telnet to her machine,

If someone can telnet, she is coocked, IMHO.

Also, if she uses DHCP client which executes shell scripts with
bash. If she could trick it to executing something else, maybe pdksh,
perhaps she would have been safe(r).

Take my opinions with usual spoon of salt. I have no idea if I know
anything, maybe my pills ran out long ago and they allow me to post as
occupational therapy.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola