>BTW, I note that I learned (many years ago; I haven't tried lately)
>that LMCOPY allowed me to create a member with a hyphen in its
>name, but LMMSTATS reported a syntax error when I attempted to
>update its statistics.
>
>Can anyone supply a *good* reason for this?

I don't know about character sets allowed by ISPF services for member
names. But it is certainly true that many programs will not allow you to
enter the weird characters that you can use within a member name.  ISPF
edit help messages, for example, indicate that the requirement for
creating a new member name is alphanumeric (although it actually accepts
alphanumeric or national)

On a marginally related subject, JCL supports a hyphen within a data set
name (I don't know the history behind that). It supports a minus sign to
identify a GDG generation.
Other than that, I can say that it is not well known that you can have a
hyphen in a data set name and not every application that accepts data set
names will accept hyphens in them (sometimes that might be unintentional,
sometimes it might be intentional).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design