On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On 2014-10-06 06:59, Peter Hunkeler wrote:
> > Cross-Posted to IBM-MAIN and MVS-OE
> >
> > People at our installation have got used to use BASH. I think it would
> be about time BASH becomes an integral part of z/OS UNIX Sevices. I have
> opened a requirement for this.
> >
> > Title: Provide officially supported version of BASH shell for z/OS UNIX
> >
> > Link:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=60048
> >
> Since I have not become a bash partisan, there are several
> things common on other UNIXen to which I'd give a higher priority:
>
> o SSL

​I don't understand. IBM does have SSL (and TLS) available in
Communications Server.
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/f1a1b3a1/1.3.4.2
Or do you need an API which is OpenSSL like? Or am I just off in left field
and in the wrong ball park to boot?​

> o find -i
>
> o find -l
>
> o find -follow  # but breaking symlink cycles.
>
> o find -print0

​IMO, replace above with "GNU find" or functional equivalent.​

> o xargs -0
>
> o less

​Yes, I have put in an alias:
alias less='vi -R'
to "emulate" some of the less functionality.​

> o xterm

​Why? I don't see the need to run xterm on the z/OS system. I run it on my
desktop (well, actually I run Konsole). What would you use it for?​

> o Warning and continuing rather than termination by various utilities,
>   particularly diff, encountering a binary file when text is expected
>
> o diff -u
>
> o patch compatibility with diff -u
>
> o Further enhancing the Enhanced ASCII support so FOSS software
>   could be built without accommodations for EBCDIC
>
> And, not an enhancement, but a bug which IBM support has inexplicably
> declared WAD: Fix the EN_US collating sequence!
>

> -- gil

​Actually, I expect the PTBs to reject all of this. I still don't get the
impression that the IBM people in charge of z/OS really have any true
liking for the UNIX portion. And most of them seem to be very much "IP
hogs" (that's Intellectual Property and not Internet Protocol). But that
may be my freaky FSF persona coming out.​

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown