Back in the day, HSM would process requests from tape in File Block ID order.
But, when tape technology went to a serpentine pattern, processing in FBID
order no longer ensured optimal results for random recalls, so HSM changed to
using  1) Priority 2) FIFO.  Clients driving a large numbers of concurrent
recalls from tape found that this resulted in slower performance.  So, we
introduced SETSYS TAPEDATASETORDER(FBID).  When you know that you will be
concurrently recalling a large number of data sets from a single tape, we
recommend that you enable this parameter.  For general processing, we recommend
using the default of Priority.  (There are also subparameters to just enable
this for Recall or Recover).

Glenn Wilcock
HSM Architect