On 2014-10-22 13:38, Pommier, Rex wrote:
> Note in the SMP/E Commands manual under the SELECT statement within the
> RECEIVE command states:
>
> SELECT  specifies one or more SYSMOD IDs that should be received. .....
>
>       Notes:
>
> 4.  If you specify HOLDDATA and do not specify SYSMODs, only the HOLDDATA for
> the selected SYSMODs is received. The SYSMODs themselves are not received,
> nor are any associated ++FEATURE or ++PRODUCT MCS.

Thanks.  Well, I had looked under "Syntax Notes", figuring that's where any
exceptional behavior would be described.  I guess it's not sufficiently
exceptional.
With your encouragement, I did find it.  Elsewhere.

> Not a bug, and documented to work this way.  I've used this exact syntax in
> the past to grab just a certain bit of HOLDDATA that I wanted to get into a
> global zone.

But doesn't meet my objectives.  I'm trying two commands:

    RECEIVE SELECT( ... ) FROMNTS( ... ) .
    RECEIVE HOLDDATA      FROMNTS( ... ) .

Interesting.  SYSPRINT seems to show that it unpacks the HOLDDATA
twice (once for each command?), although only the second uses it.
But it unpacks SMPMCS only once.

And if it's RECEIVE FROMNETWORK and my CLIENT and SERVER data sets
are instream, will one of each suffice?  Will SMP/E read each only
once and use it for both commands, or try to read it twice?  A guru
told me long ago (MVS 3.8 era) that a SYSIN can be read only once,
and never repositioned (pretend it's a card reader).  But empirically
I believe I can contradict that.

Thanks again,
gil