> In my experience, most of the time the first reader of a "contact
> systems programmer" explanation IS a systems programmer.  I always found
> it highly irritating when that was the only explanation for an error
> message.  Even a broad general description of what went wrong can
> sometimes be helpful in isolating whether it is an application mis-use
> of the operating system or an actual problem with system software that
> needs to be resolved.

I remember quite clearly how exasperated I always was (back when I was IBM
level 2) when the books said 'contact IBM', and I was IBM and I had no clue how
to find out what module even had *issued* the message, much less what the
reason code meant. Right around that time the powers that be also decided not
to publish anymore what module issued a message, so there went that crutch. And
for the people out in the backwaters there was no cross reference, either. In
some cases no retain search even gave a starting point and I ended up sending
such a problem straight to Poughkeepsie with the question where to find more
information. Somehow I don't think the situation has become any better.

Barbara