On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Kirk Wolf <k...@dovetail.com> wrote:

> Hi Walt,
>
> I've been thinking about this since you asked on the Co:Z community forum.
>
> I think that this should be possible if you wrote code that uses the JES
> Spool Data Set Browse facility (SDSB).   If you use VSAM ACB for the I/O,
> you are are supposed to be able to use VSAM  POINT to do positioning:
>

> http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.hasc300/has2z1_Using_RPL_Based_Macros.htm
>
> This should allow you to grab the end of SYSLOG and write it to where ever
> you wanted.
>
> Kirk Wolf
> Dovetailed Technologies
> http://dovetail.com

​
Being a "weirdo", what I would like is for /dev/console to be
"bidirectional". It is currently "write only" and routes the data written
to it to the MVS SYSLOG. I wish that it could be read from to do the
reverse. That is, when a line goes out the the MVS SYSLOG, the data would
also be written to /dev/console. But in such a way that the data would not
be "buffered", like in a FIFO which can cause the writer to wait, but only
sent to whomever had a READ operation "waiting" on /dev/console.
​And while I'm waiting for  that, I will again put in my request for a
"/dev/intrdr" as well so that I can __easily__ submit a job from a normal
shell script instead of being forced to do it in REXX.

--
The temperature of the aqueous content of an unremittingly ogled
culinary vessel will not achieve 100 degrees on the Celsius scale.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown