On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 01:05:04 -0600, Brian Westerman wrote:

>I think it would be a cool thing for you to develop, but I wanted to warn you
>that the console message part is a bear to manage.

This encapsulates my thoughts on this, and I would certainly defer to Brians
experience.
Even in the *nix world, "tail" (prior to inotify) was a can of worms, but
nobody cared. In its original incarnation it polled the target - fine for small
systems with low traffic. Doesn't sound like your typical z/OS environment
where vendors insist on spamming the log.
Which, of course, encouraged (in-house) devs to do like-wise.

Good luck ...

Shane ...