This answer 'clarifies' the situation?

Kees.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: 19 November, 2014 14:08
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: What are STC, JOB and TSU?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:23 AM, Lindy Mayfield <lindy.mayfi...@sas.com>
wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem identifying what classification those
> names are.
>
> I know what started tasks and TSO users and batch jobs are, but if I
> were to say:
>
> "On MVS there are three <blank>  (or three types of <blank>) which can
> be derived from the JES job ID.  J or JOB means batch, S or STC means
> started task and T or TSU means a TSO user."

I would probably say something like: "On z/OS there are four classifications of
address spaces. Three of them are controlled by the Job Entry Subsystem (JES),
and the type can be derived from the JES job id.
Those three types are J, S, and T; for JOB (batch work), STC (started task),
and TSU (TSO users) respectively. The fourth type of address space is called a
system address space. This type of address space runs outside of the control of
the JES and so, normally, does do any SPOOL activity.
This type of address space can be started with an operator command by adding
the SUB=MSTR parameter to the START. It can also be created programmatically
using internal facilities such as the ASCRE system service. Since they run
outside the control of JES, they do not normally have a JES job id. There are
facilities whereby such an address space can register itself with JES, at which
time it is given an STC job id."

I.e. substitute "address space" for "<blank>". I am fairly sure that when the
CPU is not in a WAIT, that there is a value in the PSAAOLD which, IMO, makes
that ASID the "current" ASID. Hum, is this true? The only thing I'm not sure of
is a global SRB. Can PSAAOLD be zero while a global SRB is running? The STO
control register has to have _something_ valid in it unless you are somehow
running DAT OFF. Which is _extremely_ rare in z/OS.

Depending on the level of detail you want, you might not want to even mention
the system address space in such detail. But you might want to mention it
briefly because such will show up in SDSF, but without a JES assigned id.

I also don't know if you want to inject anything about the "weird and
wonderful" way that z/OS UNIX works. I.e. a batch job, with a JOBnnnnn assigned
to it, can be a UNIX process. But a child process, created with fork()/spawn(),
runs as a separate STCnnnnn type address space (ignoring local spawn(), of
course). But that may be too much information. I couldn't even make it clear to
other experienced sysprogs (one of whom had been a vendor developer) very well.
But that may be a personal (me) issue. <grin/>

> (My best guess was 'job type')
>
> Are there more than these three?  I'm simply writing some high-level
> documentation, and I've already used up my quota of writing "thingy"
> when I don't know what it is.  MVS has a lot of thingies.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Lindy

The temperature of the aqueous content of an unremittingly ogled culinary
vessel will not achieve 100 degrees on the Celsius scale.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286