You should up your buffers (and NCP). Two will be spending a lot of time
waiting.

Just remember that after a CHECK shows EOF,  you should not expect a valid
status from the pending reads.

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 12:20:08 -0500 Sam Golob <sbgo...@cbttape.org> wrote:

:>Hi Folks,
:>
:>     I was just involved in an exercise to improve an old file copying
:>program from CBT Tape File 316.  It is called FFYCOPY, and it was
:>written in the mid-1970's by Frank Yates (courtesy of Jim Marshall).
:>This program's "copy engine" uses BSAM with double buffers, and for its
:>time, it was very fast, since BSAM (using the READ and WRITE macros)
:>deals with copying blocks of data instead of records.  Of course, QSAM
:>(using the GET and PUT macros) is geared to copying records.
:>
:>     Most sequential file copying programs use QSAM, because the
:>granularity is at the "record" level and not at the "block" level.  But
:>if speed is a priority, BSAM, copying equal sized blocks to equal sized
:>blocks, can be an advantage.
:>
:>     I'm not telling anybody here to give up the copying programs they
:>have been using (there are many of them out there), but this is for the
:>purpose of discussion, and I hope it helps somebody in the process
:>(maybe even me).
:>
:>     FFYCOPY, being a very simply written program (except for the skill
:>in writing the engine), needs to have the output dataset having
:>identical RECFM, LRECL, and BLKSIZE to those of the input dataset.  To
:>guarantee that, it simply overlays those attibutes in the output dataset
:>before OPENing it.  This may get into problems if you're copying a
:>sequential dataset to a member of a pds.  The copy does not reblock the
:>dataset (as it uses BSAM very simply), and the output pds can be messed
:>up.  To avoid such problems, I put safeguards into FFYCOPY (see FFYCOPY
:>in File 316 on the Updates page of www.cbttape.org), so that if RECFM,
:>LRECL, or BLKSIZE don't match, the copy is not done.  I also added a
:>SYSPRINT dataset to report status of what happened.  And to force the
:>overlay of the attributes in the output dataset (as in the old version),
:>you can code PARM=O in the EXEC statement.
:>
:>     I'd be interested in hearing if there are any issues nowadays in
:>copying BIG files FAST.  Of course the world has progressed a lot in 40
:>years (snicker), but I'd still like to hear some thoughts on the subject.
:>
:>     Thanks much.  All the best of everything to all of you.
:>
:>Sincerely,    Sam
:>
:>For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
:>send email to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

http://www.dissensoftware.com