In
<caajsdjhqt77sx8xckcezrekvfbmgfo1vouxyd7w7zmn_prh...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 12/04/2014
   at 08:06 AM, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com> said:

>But I've been thinking about the z/OS syslog for some reason
>lately. Given what it was originally designed for, review by a
>human, it is a decent design. But is it really as helpful as it
>could be in today's z/OS environment? Should z/OS have a more
>generalized logging facility?

It already does. The syslog is intended solely to capture console[1]
messages; it is not and never has been a general event log. What is
relevant is facilities like CT, GTF, LOGREC and SMF. Now those have
issues, but they are a lot closer to general than syslog was ever
intended to be.

>Is there really a need for the z/OS system log anymore?

Yes.

>And I will admit that my mind has been
>corrupted by using Linux too much lately.

Isn't the Linux equivalent to, e.g., SMF, harder to parse?

>So, if such a thing is even needed any more, what might it look
>like?

IMHO a new generalized event log, replacing SMF et all, should
timestamp in both global and local time, possibly UTC plus offset. It
definitely should support LOGGER.

>I know most will moan,

Indeed.

>but I _like_ structured, textual, information.

I hate it. I prefer well structured binary.

>And no encoded binary, OK?

Not okay.

>program name in the RB

ITYM CDE or LPDE pointede to by the RB.

>JS TCB

What if the event is logged from an SRB?

How should character data be encoded? EBCDIC would be reasonable if
there was only a single EBCDIC code page, but as it is UTF-8 might be
better.