>I am unable to distinguish between 'SE=other'and No SE (SE=blanks).
>SE=* matches on any blank and non-blank SE.
>SE=%* should match on a non-blank first character, but seems to do the same as
>SE=*.
>The % mask appears to match also on blanks, although the PF1 doc suggests
>otherwise. Unless >'No SE' is represented by hex zeroes and therefor matches
>on %.

I tried on z/OS 2.1 and got the same result. However online help and the book
seem to indicate that % matches on "any character". I take this to mean all 256
possibililties.

In the online help, I have found that you can use comparison operators. So I
tried:
SE    <A*

The latter should match if no SCHENV is specified, since both "blank" and X'00'
should be lower than "A". Neither worked. Nor did a ">A" or ">A*". I could not
readily find comparison operators in the FM, only in the WLM dialog help.

Not sure if this is new with z/OS 2.1. If you can see this on V1.13, you might
want to try '<A*' and eventually open a PMR if it does not work for you either.

--
Peter Hunkeler